Saturday, November 7, 2009

Ice Cream

I'd never call myself a vegan, but between my personal taste in "daily meals" (I like them lite, filling, and in huge portions), finances (low), aversion to cooking meat (high), and allergy to dairy (much lamented), love of vegetable and fruit (much enjoyed), and (embarrassingly moderate) distrust of the FDA's ability/willingness to regulate meat, I pretty much eat that way by default.

Like many people who actually are legitimately vegan, I don't find that I miss a lot. Sometimes I go in for cheese, but for the most part it doesn't occur to me to crave them, because it hurts me.

All that being said, I still went in for a scoop of vanilla ice cream with "bumble berry pie" at the Blues Traveler concert. I escaped unscathed, but I do sorta miss vanilla ice cream as a counterpoint to apple pie.

...but soy based vanilla ice creams tend not to do it for me. Maybe it's just my neurosis, but soy ice creams have sort of a waxy, oily, thing going on, which I do not love. It's forgivable in some flavors -like chocolate- but vanilla takes a hit.

So when Gena at Choosing Raw had a post about vegan, coconut-based ice cream in NYC.... AND a Ice-Cream give away, you know I was all about it.

Everyone go check it out.

No comments: