Thursday, September 17, 2009

At This Point, Day Numbers Seem a Little Meaningless

Wouldya look at that waffle? If that isn't a thing of beauty I don't know what is.

Also (though this is totally irrelevant to the waffle iron that made that cutie), the recipe is vegan. I'm not really vegan (I will probably switch the egg-replacer for some local/free range eggs) but I'm always appreciative of hot breakfast food that doesn't give me dairy cramps and isn't an omelet.

...On the other hand, using flax as the binder probably will make it fluffier... plus add flax. Always a plan of the flax.

Image and recipe from The GirlieGirl Army.

WHAT YOU’LL NEED:

  • 1/2 large banana
  • 2 Tbsp flax egg-replacer*
  • 4 Tbsp agave nectar
  • 1 cup rice milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • pinch of salt
  • canola baking spray (for waffle iron)
  • maple syrup to taste
  • Toppings!

DIRECTIONS:
* To make Flax Egg Replacer, simply combine Flax Seed and Water in a 1 to 2 ratio in a blender, until thick.

1. In a bowl, mash the banana until smooth.
2. Add the flax, agave nectar, and vanilla.
3. In a larger mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
4. Pour rice milk into the flour mixture, stirring with a fork.
5. Add the apple cider vinegar.
6. Add in the banana flax mixture from the other bowl.
7. Mix well.
8. Spray your iron lightly with the canola spray, and add the batter when hot!

ANYWAY.

I've skipped the protein shake in the morning and even though drinking it made me feel annoyingly full, I really notice a difference in my sluggatude by 3:30. I don't wanna mooove. And this is true even though I'm in love with the new yoga teacher.

Maybe I'll invest in a nice thermos so I can take my cold soy milk shake to school with me and sip it throughout the day. And by invest, I mean "finally use the one I made my mom buy me from barnes and noble".

The only thing is that I hope that drinking it later in the day doesn't decrease my appetite during the day, only to make me hungrier later at night. When I was eating like a bird during the day I'd often over-eat later (though I didn't ever really feel "hungry" during the day). Now with the big breakfasts I'm often under my calorie goal in the evening, even though the goal has been reduced.

It will also give me one MORE potentially spillable thing to carry. I'm already toting too much stuff as it is. :-/

In other news... I'm hungry again, and I'm going to try to eek out a twenty minute jog at the gym. I didn't even bother to change out of my workout clothes today!

No comments: